Koeksisters - South African Syrup Coated Doughnut Braids
|Flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄3 Tablespoon (1/2 dessertspoon)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
1) In a saucepan, boil together sugar and water until thickened.
2) Allow the syrup to cool and place in refrigerator.
3) In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
4) Add in the butter and rub the mixture well.
5) In a cup, beat the egg with milk and water.
6) Stir the egg mixture into flour and mix well to get pastry consistency.
7) Cut the pastry equally into 2 or 3 portions, roll it out each part into oblong shapes.
8) Slice the koeksusters so they are each about 2 inches across and 3 inches long.
9) Pleat each pastry strip.
10) In a wok, heat the oil and fry the koeksusters until lightly brown, turn once over.
11) Remove the koeksuster using perforated ladle and drain over paper towel.
12) Place the koeksuster into syrup, and dip it in the syrup.
13) Remove the koeksuster using perforated ladle and drain the syrup and put the koeksuster on to another plate or dish.
14) Serve hot sprinkled with icing sugar or slices almonds if desired.