Fish balls stew also called soupe de boulette de poisson in some west African countries is fish balls cooked in a tomato stew with some vegetables. The stew is serve with rice, couscous , yams or even with some spaghetti. The preparation will take you sometime but the outcome is so worthy. Try this stew and you will love it for the rest of your life
For fish balls
500 Gram (fish fillet)
Red chili/Green chili
1 Tablespoon (Optional)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)
For tomato stew
1 Large, mince
3 , grated
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1 Large, peeled, chopped
1 Small, peeled, chopped
1⁄2 , cut into medium pieces (Optional)
1. With a knife, remove bones and skin from the fish. Chop and set aside. You can skip the step if using fish fillet.
For Fish Balls:
2. In food processor, grind the fish with some salt.
3. Transfer it to a bowl, and grind onion, garlic, bouillon cube, chilies peppers, and green chili in it.
4. Mix the fish with the onion mixture and peanut butter. Add corn flour if you want balls to be harder.
5. Grease your hands and shape the fish mixture into small balls.
6. In a pan, heat the oil on medium flame and fry the balls until brown. Fry in batches. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
7. In a big bowl, mash the fresh tomatoes with little water.
8. Add the tomato paste, minced onion, grated garlic, bouillon cube, and black pepper.
9. In a pan, heat cooking oil and add the tomato mixture. Let simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes or until thickened.
10. Add vegetables and 2 cups of water. Bring to boil and add the fish balls and cabbage. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
11. Season with salt and pepper to taste.