Rice and beans is a popular west African recipe that is serve as a side dish. In this video i will show you how i make my beans and rice. It's pretty easy and so yummy.
Long grain white rice
2 Cup (32 tbs)
Black eyed peas
2 Cup (32 tbs) (or any kind of beans/peas)
1 Teaspoon (or Ghana waakey leaves)
10 Cup (160 tbs)
1. Soak the beans or peas overnight. Drain and rinse the next day.
2. Rinse the rice and keep aside.
3. In a large cooking pot or rice cooker, combine the peas with enough cold water to cover them by two inches.
4. Add baking soda and bay leaves. Bring it to a boil. Cover and let it cook for about 30-60 minutes or until tender.
5. Stir in the rice and reduce water if necessary. You will only need 3 cups of water for 2 cups of rice.
6. Add salt and pepper and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until all liquid has been totally absorbed.
7. Remove from heat and serve hot with stew and enjoy!.
Instead of soaking overnight you can boil the beans for 5 minutes and then soak for 1 hour.
Got some leftover rice from last night dinner? Just pair it with some beans and you have a delicacy that is loaded with proteins, is quick to make and is low fat too. Perfect for a comforting weeknight meal or casual entertaining, this slow-cooker Caribbean classic is simple and satisfying. Just gather up all the ingredients, follow the recipe to the T and leave them on the stove to cook at their own pace. By the end of the day, you will have a real delicacy that is lip-smackingly good. Watch the video here for the recipe.