South African Street Food (Bunny Chow)
|Yellow onion||1⁄2 Medium, chopped (Pureed into a paste)|
|Coriander seeds||2 Tablespoon (Toasted and ground in a mortar and pestle)|
|Cumin||2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Garam masala||2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Oil||2 Tablespoon (For frying)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Ginger||1 Small, minced (Thumb sized ginger used)|
|Crushed tomatoes||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Rotisserie chicken||1⁄2 Medium (Roughly shredded into chunks)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Potato||1 Medium, diced|
|Frozen peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt & pepper||To Taste (To season)|
1. Take an oiled skillet and bring it to medium heat and to that add the onion puree made in the food processor.
2. Add minced garlic and ginger to this and stir for about a minute. Add the prepared curry powder mix to it and stir till the flavor builds.
3. Once done add crushed tomatoes and stir it for a while and add the roughly shredded chicken pieces. Then add 2 cups of water and stir. Add the diced potato and cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. After 10 minutes open the lid and add frozen peas and cook for another couple of minutes and season with salt and pepper.
5. Take a bun and scoop a cap out of it and fill it with the prepared curry and close it with the scooped out lid of the bun.
6. Serve warm.
Calories 446 Calories from Fat 253
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43.6%
Saturated Fat 6.3 g31.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 82.7 mg27.6%
Sodium 353.6 mg14.7%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g9%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.9%
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 25 g49.4%
Vitamin A 21.4% Vitamin C 35.8%
Calcium 15.9% Iron 34.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet