|Onions||1 Medium, sliced|
|Ground chuck||2 Pound|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White bread slice||2 , cubed|
|Dried apricots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Dark raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Almonds||12 , blanched, chopped|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Bay leaf||1 , crushed|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Hot cooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350F.
2) In a large skillet, melt butter. Add in the onions and saute till golden, for about 5 minutes. Add in the ground chuck. Saute till the chuck browns. Take the skillet off the flame.
3) In a large bowl, add egg, milk and bread cubes. With a fork mash the bread while mixing. Add in the apricots, raisins, almonds, sugar, curry, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of salt, pepper and crushed bay leaf. Mix to blend well.
4) Add in the meat mixture and mix well with a fork.
5) Transfer the mixture into a 2 1/2-quart shallow casserole. Spread the mixture around evenly.
6) Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
7) In a small bowl, beat the eggs with milk, turmeric and salt. Blend well. Pour the mixture into the casserole. Place 5 bay leaves in the centre of the casserole.
8) Bake for 15 more minutes or until the egg topping has set.
9) Serve the Bobotie garnished with whole almonds and black olives.
10) Serve with steamed rice and chutney.