Fiery Hot North African Pili Pili Red Pepper Sauce
|Hot red peppers||24 Small, dried (Finger-Shaped)|
|Tarragon white wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 1/4 Deciliter)|
|White wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 1/4 Deciliter)|
|Coriander seeds||2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cumin seed||2 Teaspoon|
|Whole cumin seed||2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Beef bouillon||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 1/2 Deciliter)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste (Few Grinds)|
|Red cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Freshly squeezed lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon, squeezed|
|Parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and finely minced|
1) Rinse the red peppers in cold water, remove any stalks and slightly open each pepper.
2) In a 1-pint mason jar, place the red peppers with the salt and sugar.
3) Cover with the vinegar, and stir thoroughly until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
4) Pour in a 1/2 inch layer of oil, screw the jar tightly and place in the refrigerator for about a week.
5) In a hand mortar or an electric blender, pound or whirl marinated red peppers to make a thin paste.
6) In a 2 1/2 or 3 quart pressure cooker, add the ground coriander, cumin and beef bouillon together.
7) Bring to the boil without the lid, then add black pepper and red cayenne.
8) Gradually stir in about 3 teaspoons, red pepper base paste, to make as peppery hot as desired.
9) Stir in the lemon juice and an extra tablespoon of oil, bring to a boil.
10) Place the lid, bring up the pressure to 15 pounds and cook for 2 minutes.
11)Then turn off the heat and lower the pressure immediately.
12) Stir the sauce thoroughly and lastly add the parsley and the garlic.
13) Store the sauce in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
14) Use as required, only a drop or two on rice, on barbecued pieces of beef or lamb or in a salad dressing or sauce.
If the sauce becomes too peppery hot, it can be slightly softened by adding lemon juice and oil.
Calories 52 Calories from Fat 41
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.1%
Saturated Fat 0.63 g3.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 499.6 mg20.8%
Total Carbohydrates 3 g0.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.39 g1.6%
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 0.47 g0.93%
Vitamin A 3.4% Vitamin C 15.5%
Calcium 1.5% Iron 4.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet