Two Dishes with Broad Beans
|For the ful akhdar matbukh bil khudra broad beans stewed with fresh herbs|
|Broad beans||1 Kilogram (pods removed)|
|Onions||2 Medium, finely chopped|
|Coriander leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Dill leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Beef/Lamb||1⁄2 Kilogram, cubed|
|Chard leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Garlic||12 Clove (60 gm), crush|
|Cooking oil||3 Tablespoon, divided|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|For the broad bean and feta frittata ('fruitalia')|
|Broad beans||200 Gram (pods removed)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red onion||1 Small, chop|
|Sea salt flakes||1 Pinch|
|Ground black pepper||1 Pinch|
|Free range eggs||6 Large, beaten|
|Feta cheese||100 Gram, crumbled|
|Fresh mint leaves||1⁄2 Bunch (50 gm)|
FOR THE FUL AKHDAR MATBUKH BIL KHUDRA BROAD BEANS STEWED WITH FRESH HERBS
1. Take the beans out of the pod.
2. Finely chop the onions, coriander, dill, garlic and chard set aside.
3. Cut the meat into small cubes, set aside.
4. In a pan pour oil and fry the meat until its juice has been absorbed.
5. Add the onions, coriander and dill; fry them together for 5-7 minutes.
6. Cover the pot with water, add rice and beans.
7. Bring it to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer until the meat and rice is cooked.
8. In a mortar crush the garlic and ground coriander, transfer it to a pan and add the chard.
9. Fry them all together and crush them until very smooth, once done add it to the cooking beans and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
10. Serve the broad beans stew hot.
FOR THE BROAD BEANS AND FETA FRITTATA (FRUITALIA)
1. Chop the onions, set aside.
2. Take the beans out of the pod.
3. Preheat the grill to the highest setting.
4. In a pot boil water with salt and add the broad beans and blanch for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
5. Once done drain the water and when the beans are cool enough to handle remove the outer membrane.
6. In a pan pour olive oil and sauté the onions along with a pinch of salt flakes.
7. Fry the onions for 8-10 minutes or until softened but not colored.
8. Whisk eggs into a bowel and beat them well until full of air, then season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
9. When the onions are done increase the heat to medium and pour beaten eggs, sprinkle feta cheese, mint leaves and cooked broad beans.
10. Cook for 2-3 minutes undisturbed or until the underside of the egg mixture is pale golden-brown.
11. Place the pan in the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the top side of the egg mixture is firm and pale golden-brown.
12. Once the frittata is done place a large enough plate over the pan and flip the frittata onto the plate.
13. Serve a good slice of frittata along with crusty white bread.